As we all know last night Sony rolled a lot many firmwares for it’s beloved Xperia Z Series phones. Xperia Z, ZL and ZR were updated on same Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware with same kernel version and baseband. The most serious concern for the update was that, Sony has patched the perf_event exploit which was used to root the devices. But not issues.
Legendary XDA Developer has found a solution to Root Xperia Z, ZL, ZR Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware by his new DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18.
How to Root Xperia Z, ZL, ZR Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware
Before rooting your phone you must be on Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware, if you are not, please update your Xperia Z, ZL and ZR before beginning. DooMLoRD has done a smart thing, he is asking users to first use the kernel on which root exploit works then root the device and then flash back the latest kernel on phone again
Below method and files for downloading only works for Xperia Z C6602 / C6603 Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware. Do not test it on other phone / firmware variants strictly.
Download 3 files
Download XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.f tf | 7.12 MB
Download DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18 from below to root Xperia Z, ZL and ZR.
Download DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip | 2.96 MB
Download XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf | 7.17 MB
If you have Flashtool then it’s good otherwise download it from given below link.
After downloading above files, perform the given below steps.
How to Root Xperia Z Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware – STEPS
Works on both Locked as well as UnLocked Bootloaders.
Enable USB Debugging and unknown sources option on your phone before proceeding. Do not use other kit version except V18.
- Download Flashtool, Open it. Flash the “XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.f tf” file on your Xperia Z. It is the kernel of an old firmware of Xperia Z which was rootable.
- Reboot your Xperia Z after flashing. Connect to PC in USB Debugging mode.
- Do not forget to close FLASHTOOL. CLOSE FLASHTOOL , before proceeding next step or you will get serious error.
- Extract the downloaded “DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip” file and run the “runme_win” file.
- Follow onscreen instructions to root Xperia Z and once it is rooted, device will reboot. Verify that you are rooted, run SuperSU app.
- Now switch off your Xperia Z. OPEN FLASHTOOL.
- Now you need to flash “XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf” file in order to get back the true kernel of Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware of Xperia Z.
- After flashing, disconnect the phone from PC, reboot it and your Xperia Z is now rooted and we are done with Root Xperia Z Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware steps.
How to Root Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware ?
In order to root your Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR on the same firmware by DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18, you need to perform the same above 8 steps as mentioned. But the files for the kernel would be different for both phones. Do not flash the kernel of Xperia Z Strictly.
Get the kernel files of old rootable and new firmware for Xperia ZL and ZR separately and then you can root your device using above steps.
Download Kernel files for Xperia ZL
So finally the root is also achieved on Xperia Z, ZL, ZR Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware by DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18. Do let us know in comments if you find any issues in rooting your device. We will help you out.
[ via - XDA ]