Xperia SP Heats Up Goes dead – Won’t Turn On or Charge – SOLUTION

Posted on Aug 11 2013 - 11:29pm by Anurag Kumar

Xperia SP, the wonderful phone launched by Sony has gained world-wide appreciation. It is powered with 1.7 Ghz. dual-core Snapdragon S4 pro chipset packed with Adreno 320 GPU. Xperia SP comes with wealthy 2370 mAh non-removable battery which means that to do hard reset, we need an alternative way to switch it off.

Xperia Z also has a non-removable battery with a non-removable back casing, so in order to do a hard reset on it, one need to press and hold down “power+volume up” together for 3-5 seconds then phone vibrates, switched off and restarts. Well unfortunately the same method doesn’t work on Xperia SP.

[ UPDATE - 12 Feb 2014 ]

Xperia SP Frame Bent Issue appeared like Xperia Z1 – Poor Build Quality ?

Let’s come to main issue of this article.

Xperia SP Heats Up Goes dead – Won’t Turn On or Charge

Many Xperia SP users have complained that their handset heats up to extreme sometimes during charging and then remain hot for a while more than 30+ minutes. Well that’s terrible.

So What Actually Happened with us ?

At 13% battery, we put our Xperia SP on charging and when we came back after half and hour, we found our Xperia SP was very hot :/ We removed the charger and kept the phone aside. Even after 30 minutes phone didn’t cool down and the golden light in the illumination bar didn’t shut, it was lighted through out that period.

Xperia SP Won’t Turn or Charge

We were not able to get back to display screen even after pressing the power button on our Xperia SP, neither it was charging not it was turning on. For a moment we were afraid, that what happened. Phone was in on stage, it was not switched off.

Problem Solution

We thought of re-installing the firmware on our Xperia SP 12.0.A.1.257 firmware again by SUS, but before doing that we thought of doing a hard reset so that it can be switched off and restarted.

So how did we do that ?Remember “Pressing power + Volume UP” button combination don’t work in Xperia SP.

• Remove the back cover of Xperia SP and look for a small yellow dot on mid bottom with “OFF” written below it. Check the image below.

Xperia SP Heats Up Goes dead - Won't Turn On or Charge - SOLUTION

• Now “Press & Hold Down the OFF Button, using a tip of pen or any other pointed object for around 10 seconds”. Phones vibrates and will be switched off automatically. Check image below.

P.S. Don’t use very sharp objects as it may damage the OFF Button.

How to Turn On Xperia SP after it goes dead because of heating - won't charge

• Now phone restarts.

After restarting we found that our Xperia SP got back to normal temperature and everything was fine.  :) We were able to charge our Xperia SP again, device was cool.

Conclusion

Main issue is that why Xperia SP is getting this issue ? Why Phones heats up suddenly without doing nothing ? Why doesn’t it turns on ? Why doesn’t it charge ??? Many users are coming up with this issue on Sony Mobile Forums even…no proper verdict has been given by support staff on this issue.

Are these all firmware bugs or some another issue…

Please report if you have also faced same situation on your Xperia SP, report below with your problem…Comment we will get back to you soon may be with a solution…

If you have enjoyed this post, feel free to share it. Subscribe to the XperiaGuide RSS Feeds. Follow us on Facebook I Twitter I Google+ I Pinterest.

About the Author

23 years old, an avid writer and a Software Engineer by profession. Founder and Editor-in-chief of Xperia Guide | Nexus Authority and Gizmo Bolt and Sony Xperia Smartphone enthusiast. Devices owned : Xperia Z1, Z, SP, SL, Nexus 7 2013 LTE. Follow me at Facebook I Twitter I Google Plus. DONATE US. Contact me at anurag@xperiaguide.com for feedback and sending tips.

23 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Aaron August 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm - Reply

My Xperia SP won’t turn on.

I turned it off, then after a few minutes tried turning it on, nothing happens after pressing the power button. Then I tried plugging it to an outlet, still no response from the phone. Finally I tried pushing the OFF button behind, still no response from the phone…

HELP!

• Anurag Kumar August 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm - Reply

what were you doing that this happened ? I guess the off button behind the back is last solution.

Is you phone charging in off state ? if yest try doing it for 15 minutes then try switch on the phone.

2. Manpreet October 11, 2013 at 11:16 am - Reply

I’m too facing the same problem since I’ve bought the phone. During the first time I didnot understand what happened to it and took it to sevice center there they said it was due to software problem. And after two to three months I’ve faced the same problem

3. Mehak October 11, 2013 at 8:11 pm - Reply

My Xperia SP won’t get charged. I bought like a month ago and now, I’m not able to charge it. I connected it with the charger, both the phone and the charger are absolutely alright, since, I bought it brand new. I tried restarting my phone but it still won’t get charged. This is absolutely ridiculous.

• Anurag Kumar October 11, 2013 at 8:13 pm - Reply

try once updating your software again, if it still don’t work then surely it is hardware fault, get it checked at your nearest sony service center.

• Ehab February 19, 2014 at 9:23 pm - Reply

I have xperia M dual(c2005) new on, it is death suddenly and i can not turn it on, could you please help

4. Harvestianto Gilbert October 13, 2013 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Hi There! I’m facing the same problem here. My Xperia SP won’t charge and it’s LED keep blinking Red if I try to charge it. I once got this problem and sent it to Xperia Care (Service Centre) 3 months ago and finally got my phone back TODAY. (They took about 3 months to repair it).The SAME Problem happened again also TODAY. When I picked it up at the service center, it’s still 50% charged. Once I got home, I try to charge it, because the battery is empty and it didn’t charge. They DON’T fix anything :( I’ve tried the off button method. I hold it for about 10 seconds and nothing happened. I even try to hold it for about 30 seconds and still nothing happened. Please if you can help me, that will be great. This is actually kinda frustrating. :(

5. eric October 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm - Reply

What do I do if my off button was pressed with something sharp and looks damaged? Cause mine won’t respond at all when I push and hold it.

6. Sucharita November 2, 2013 at 12:20 am - Reply

My Xperia SP screen freezes sometimes and sometimes while watching a video out running some other app all slowly the screen goes dark and the phone shuts down automatically. HELP!!!

7. neanicnomad December 15, 2013 at 10:57 pm - Reply

I’ve had the same problem with my Xperia sp as it frequently freezes and then the display darkens and it restarts. It’s getting on my nerves now. Please help!

8. Ruz December 20, 2013 at 7:17 am - Reply

1) My Sony XPERIA SP could not on even after I have pressed the On Button. When I charge, it has red light, but still I could not on. I tried to use the way you told but, I felt that the button is soft and still couldn’t on.

2) Besides, I am also experiencing the same thing as the above comments where my phone screen display darkens followed by some striking colours and restarts when I watched some TV channels in my phone.

9. deaz January 29, 2014 at 7:57 am - Reply

THX A LOT,IT SOLVE MY PROBLEM CHARGING NOT FULL, ALWAYS STUCK BELOW 20%, USE UR SOLUTION N IT HELPS, THANKS AGAIN :D

10. warie February 5, 2014 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Help! Sony, my phone SonyXperia C
    What should I do????????????????

11. adrian February 11, 2014 at 8:14 pm - Reply

@ruz and @neanicnomad have your problem have solution and what method to cure? It happen too to me -.-

12. HADES February 18, 2014 at 4:29 pm - Reply

when i am charging at night before sleep i put it on top of a heatsink so that it doesn’t heat up :D good news my phone doesn’t heat up :D

13. Lisa February 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Phone wont turn back on even after pressing off button with a sharp object? There is no response from it.

14. Jay dy March 25, 2014 at 11:47 am - Reply

Xperia sp worse phone ever.. Same problem with you guys.. I’ve tried everything but nothing happens.. Going back to iphone..

15. Miles April 17, 2014 at 11:16 am - Reply

i have xperia SP for 7 months n it went dead while it was charging n never came back on. i tried everythng and its been three weeks. am never buying a sony phone agan no matter how unique they look…loved sony but i wasted my money

16. Miles April 17, 2014 at 11:18 am - Reply

pls let me know how to fix issue with sudden daeth…must i replace batter? its 50 dollars i dont want to order n it fails.

17. Palak April 18, 2014 at 11:56 pm - Reply

my xperia sp once switched off isnt switching on again ! I tried hard reset bt nothing happens after vibrating thrice. it isnt even blinking the charging red light !

18. Palak April 19, 2014 at 11:35 am - Reply

guys ! now my cel isnt even vibrating on hard reset. it just shows red light blinking when I push the power button for sometym after charging.

19. Camino April 23, 2014 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Hi! Guys try to install sony pc companion to your laptop or pc maybe solve youre problem, i have same problem but i try this method my sp turn on again. But after 4 hours shut off again i dont know why

Leave A Response